International Symposium on Cultural Heritage Disaster Preparedness and Response
23 - 27 November, 2003
Salar Jung Museum, Hyderabad, India
List of Speakers
Introduction and welcome address
- Mr. Manus Brinkman, Secretary General of ICOM, and Professor Amareswar Galla, Chair of ICOM's Regional Organisation for Asia and the Pacific
- Dr. A.K.V.S. Reddy, Director, Salar Jung Museum
Inauguration of the Symposium at Salar Jung Museum in Hyderabad
- Sri. Surjit Singh Barnala, H.E. the Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Chairman, Salar Jung Museum Board
- Shri Dhanendra Kumar, IAS, Secretary, Department of Culture, Government of India
- Mr. Abdullah Ahad Abbasi, Director of the Department of Historical Monuments, Kabul, Afghanistan
- Mr. Théodore Aglassa, National Committee of the Blue Shield of Benin, Cotonou, Benin
"Presentation of the National Committee of Blue Shield of Benin"
- Mr. Larry Armony, President MAC (Museums Association of the Caribbean), General Manager Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park Society, St Kitts, West Indies
- Professor Patrick Boylan, Chair of ICTOP (ICOM International Committee for Training of Personnel), Leicester, United Kingdom
"Assessing Risk: Museum Emergency Planning for Natural, Civil and Armed Conflict Risks"
- Ms. Kathy Dardes, Senior Project Specialist and Ms. Katharine Untch, Project Specialist, Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, United States
"Presentation of MEP education strategy proposal"
- Mr. Yonten Dargye, National Library of Bhutan, Research Officer, Thimphu, Bhutan
"A brief overview of fire disaster management in Bhutan"
- Mrs. María Teresa Dutli, ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross), Chief of the Advisory Service on International Humanitarian Law, Geneva, Switzerland
- Ms. Nevra Erturk, Yildiz Technical University, Research Assistant, Istanbul, Turkey
"Earthquake preparedness and cultural heritage losses: case study of Istanbul museums"
- Mr. Jan Hladik, UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), Division of Cultural Heritage, Paris, France
"Risk-preparedness under the 1954 Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict and its Second Protocol"
- Mr. Rohit Jigyasu, Architect, Planner & Conservation Consultant, Chandigarm, India
"Developing ICCROM Training Kit on 'Risk Preparedness for Cultural Heritage' - Scope, Nature and Challenges"
- Mr. Pavel Jirásek, Chair of ICMS (ICOM International Committee for Museum Security, Prague, Czech Republic
"Natural Disaster Co-operation and Solution (Floods in Prague 2002)"
- Mr. Per Kåks, Senior Adviser , Heritage without Borders, Stockholm, Sweden
"Threats and measures, some examples of how to deal with the protection of the Cultural Heritage on a short and long-term basis"
- Mr. Franz Grupp, Arequipa, Peru
"The earthquake of 2001 in Arequipa, the lessons learned, and the international network for rescuing cultural heritage in danger"
- Mr. Manuel López Iglesias, MSF (Médecines sans Frontières), Technical Consultant for Human Resources Management and Team Coordination in Field Projects, Barcelona, Spain
"Médecines sans Frontières: Key Issues in Emergency Projects"
- Mrs. Cristina Menegazzi, ICOM Programme Specialist
"MEP Module 1 - Survey and Latin American and African Survey Missions"
- Mrs. Freda Nkirote, National Museums of Kenya, Collection Manager, Nairobi, Kenya
"Cost-effectiveness in Emergency Preparedness and Response: the case of Sub-Saharan Africa"
- Mr. Jean-Aimé Rakotoarisoa, Director University Museum, Antananarivo, Madagascar
"Fire of the Rova - The Queen's Palace in Antananarivo"
- Mrs. Barbara Roberts, Conservator, The Frick Collection, New York, United States
"Networking and Communication - Our best hope for an adequate response to emergency events"
- Ms. Corine A. Wegener, Civil Affairs Command, United States
"The Iraq National Museum: Networking, Coordination and Collaboration in Wartime Iraq"
- Mr. Jørgen Wadum, Chair of ICOM CC (ICOM International Committee for Conservation), The Hague, Netherlands
"Past Failures for Future Learning"
Working Group Sessions at Salar Jung Museum
- Ms. Tandon Aparna, Curator, Amar Mahal Museum and Library, Kashmir, India
"The Need for Community Involvement In Preventing and Responding to Heritage Emergencies In Jammu and Kashmir"
- Ms. Pienke Kal, Head Curator, Koninklijk Institut voor de Tropen (KIT), Amsterdam Netherlands
"Disaster Preparedness in Jakarta Museums"
- Mr. Miguel Herrera Gallegos, Director, Centro de Investigación y Conservación del Patrimonio Cultural, Ministerio de Cultura, Juventud y Deportes, San José, Costa Rica
"Cultural Heritage in Costa Rica: Networking in Disaster Preparedness and Response"
- Mrs. Doris Maza Garcia, State Historic Preservation Office, Puerto Rico
"Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico: a case study of risk preparedness"
- Mrs. Chantal Radimilahy, Archaeology Researcher, Musée d'Art et d'Archéologie, Antananarivo, Madagascar
"Community responsibility and involvement in emergency preparedness and response - case study: Madagascar"
- Mr. Mwadime Wawza, Programme Manager, Programme for Museum Development in Africa (PMDA), Mombassa, Kenya
Reports and recommendations of the Working Groups