December 2000

DRAFT MINUTES

of the 97th MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL

Thursday December 7 2000

Paris (France)


INTRODUCTION

Jacques Perot, ICOM President, opened the meeting and thanked the members of the Executive Council and the ICOM partners for attending. The President wished to begin by congratulating Mounir Bouchenaki on his recent appointment as UNESCO's Assistant-Director General for Culture. He said that the appointment gave him very special pleasure, and reminded the meeting of the strong friendship and professional bonds that existed between Mounir Bouchenaki and ICOM. Jacques Perot wished him the very best of luck in his new mission.

1. ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA

The proposed agenda for the 97th meeting was adopted with an additional item concerning the situation of museums in countries in difficulty.

2. ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES OF THE 96th EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING

The minutes of the 96th Executive Council meeting were adopted without amendment.

3. ORAL REPORT ON THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE

Alissandra Cummins, Chairperson of the Advisory Committee, presented the oral report on the Extraordinary Meeting of the Advisory Committee held on December 4 and 5 2000 in Paris (France). She also congratulated Mounir Bouchenaki on his appointment.

She had welcomed the Chairpersons from Russia, Chad and ICOMON who had been newly elected to the Advisory Committee, the representative of UMAC, and the following members of the ICOM 2001 Organisation Committee: Andrea Garcia Sastre, Vice-President of ICOM 2001, Dolors Llopart, Esther Fragua, and Jordi Pereit i Estrada. Rafael Feria y Pérez, Chairperson of ICOM Spain, had also attended the extraordinary meeting.

A minute's silence had been held in memory of two active members of ICOM who had died since June 2000: David Propter (United Kingdom) and Bengt Skoog (Sweden).

Alissandra Cummins mentioned the speech by Jacques Perot, ICOM President, at the Extraordinary Meeting. On behalf of the Executive Council, the President had thanked all those who had accomplished outstanding work within ICOM, singling out: Bernice Murphy, Chairperson of the Reform Task Force (ICOM-RTF), Geoffrey Lewis, Chairperson of the Committee for Professional Ethics, and Cary Karp for the new domain name ".museum". (cf. 2000/AD.13: Minutes of the Extraordinary Meeting of the Advisory Committee, December 2000, Paris, France)

The President of ICOM mentioned ICMAH's Recommendation concerning the current situation in Palestine. He also expressed his concern for Balkan heritage.

Geoffrey Lewis presented the revised version of the Code of Professional Ethics. He said that the revisions had been the result of a broad consultation of ICOM's members. In the short term, this was just a revision. However, he said that in the longer term a complete overhaul of the Code should be envisaged. For the first time the, the revised version referred to the second protocol of the 1954 Hague Convention for the protection of cultural property in the event of armed conflict. However, he underlined that a reference to the first protocol should be added. Geoffrey Lewis mentioned the main areas addressed in the revised version:

Geoffrey Lewis said that the French version of the Code should be improved to better match the English version.

Alissandra Cummins mentioned the issues raised by the revised version of the Code. The Representative of University Museums, Steven de Clercq, emphasised the difference between a museum dedicated to research with temporary collections, and other museums. The members had studied the definition of heritage as used in the ICOM Code. They wished to add terms to the Glossary that would be appended to the Code. They also wanted the following points to be referred to:

They thanked the Chairperson and the members of the Ethics Committee for the work they had accomplished since June 2000.

They studied the document presented by Bernice Murphy, Chairperson of the ICOM Reform Task Force (RTF). This document included: the Recommendations, ICOM's mission and values, and a Strategic Plan for the period 2001-2007.

Bernice Murphy explained the work that had been done since the previous meeting in June 2000. The members of the Advisory Committee had asked for a review of ICOM's mission and values. It had been generally agreed that this revised document be put before the General Assembly at Barcelona in July 2001.

Regarding ICOM's mission, the members had wished to see the following points added to the section defining the mission:

They also requested that the following points be added or redefined:

Alissandra Cummins emphasised the importance of the work carried out by the members of the Advisory Committee during the discussions. It was impossible for her to give a full account of the discussions here, but the members had expressed some concern and wished to see the following main points revised:

The members of the Advisory Committee examined and accepted the mandates proposed by the Work Groups on National Committees and International Committees, subject to a number of amendments. A number of members expressed interest in these Work Groups. They also examined the Strategic Plan for the period 2001-2007 that would replace the traditional Triennial Programme. Nancy Hushion chaired this meeting. The members accepted the proposed document, subject to the inclusion of a number of important items. They noted the satisfactory presentation of the document and wished to be involved in the subsequent implementation. Jean-Aimé Rakotoarisoa, representing Madagascar, asked ICOM to encourage and facilitate access to the Internet in countries in difficulty. Alissandra Cummins explained to members that it would be important for ICOM to step up its involvement in the preparation of the UNESCO Convention on underwater heritage.

The following articles in the ICOM Statutes should be studied by the Executive Council before being put before the General Assembly in Barcelona:

Alissandra Cummins told members of the Executive Council that Günther Dembski, Vice-Chairperson of the Advisory Committee, had chaired the meeting on ICOM 2001. The members of the Advisory Committee had taken due note of the report by Andrea García Sastre, Vice-President of ICOM 2001, who had presented the Conference programme and the additional activities that would be organised at the Conference. The members of the Advisory Committee expressed concern at not yet having the final list of speakers. They hoped that the parallel meetings would not be scheduled to coincide with the International Committee programmes and that they would be open to all conference-goers without restriction. They also emphasised the need for better communication between the Organisation Committee and the members of the Advisory Committee.

Cary Karp had presented a report on the new ".museum" domain name. He explained the importance of the new name and its implications. The domain would be managed by a newly founded non-profit making professional association, "Museum Domain Management Association" (MDMA). The two founder members of MDMA were ICOM and the J. Paul Getty Trust. Cary Karp said that the initiative could be implemented at Barcelona. The members of the Advisory Committee had expressed their enthusiasm for this initiative.

Patrick Boylan presented the Global Development Gateway programme to Advisory Committee members. The programme was hosted on the World Bank Web site [http://www.worldbank.org/gateway/]. ICOM was partnering this programme, the aim of which was to make all the information on culture (illicit traffic, cultural heritage, etc.) and development available on the Internet.

The Advisory Committee meeting had been concluded by an address by the ICOM President who had talked about the "Printemps des musées" ("Springtime for Museums"), an initiative by the Direction des musées de France (DMF) to alert local public opinion to the wealth of the national collections and the culture offered by museums throughout the country. This one-day event would take place on Sunday April 2 2001. DMF would seek to associate the leading museums in the other European countries with the event.

The next meeting of the Advisory Committee would take place on June 29 2001 in Barcelona (Spain), as part of the General Conference.

Jacques Perot thanked Alissandra Cummins for her report. The members of the Executive Council who had attended the meetings were pleased with the work accomplished by the Committee members and with ICOM's involvement in the project presented by Patrick Boylan.

4. SECRETARIAT ACTIVITY REPORT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE TRIENNIAL PROGRAMME

Manus Brinkman, Secretary General, presented an oral report and told members of the Secretariat's main activities. He began by saying what a great pleasure it was to work with a dedicated team that showed such a high level of commitment and team spirit.

The members of the Secretariat had dedicated themselves to the preparation of the Reform Task Force documents (ICOM-RTF) while at the same time taking care of their daily tasks. A substantial amount of the work had been devoted to the preparation of the Advisory Committee, Executive Council and Ethics Committee meetings.

The presentation of the new ".museum" domain had involved the Secretariat, notably Valérie Jullien, Communication Officer. This work had been conducted with Cary Karp, whose presence had been indispensable. The Secretary General and Cary Karp had travelled to Los Angeles to meet the members of the "Internet Corporation for Names and Numbers" (ICANN), the authority responsible for assigning new domain names. As a result of the meeting, ICANN had selected the new ".museum" domain name. A press release to this effect had been mailed to all Advisory Committee members. The Secretariat still had a great deal of work to do on this. He thanked Cary Karp without whom none of this would have been possible.

Manus Brinkman told members that he had visited Barcelona with Joëlle Thibet, responsible for the General Conference organisation within the Secretariat. They had worked with the members of the Organisation Committee. Manus Brinkman said that the work had proved very positive. However, the list of speakers had not yet been finalised. Furthermore, the Executive Council had not yet studied the proposed themes for the Round Tables that the President of ICOM wished to organise.

The Secretary General told members about a training workshop that was being prepared in Hanoi (Vietnam), in collaboration with Amareswar Galla, Chairperson of the Regional Organisation for Asia and the Pacific (ASPAC). The main theme of this workshop would be illicit traffic. It was being prepared by members in the region and would be attended by museum, police and customs representatives. The initiative would also enable the recruitment of new members in Asia. Manus Brinkman told members that a National Committee was to be set up shortly in Vietnam and Laos. Contacts had been made with the National Committees in Japan and China to find ways to increase membership in this region.

Manus Brinkman reminded the meeting of the work accomplished by ICOM in the fight against illicit traffic and emphasised his contribution to the report by the United Kingdom National Committee on this subject. He told members of the Executive Council of the informational role played by the Secretariat regarding the Nok statues exhibited at the Louvre Museum. Authorities in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and other European countries had also wished to obtain more information on the Red List.

The Secretary General reminded the meeting of the forthcoming publication of a new volume in the series "100 missing objects" that would be dedicated to Europe and religious objects stolen from the following countries: France, Hungary, Italy and the Czech Republic.

Manus Brinkman also mentioned the daily work accomplished by the Secretariat, the publication of ICOM News, an issue of the Study Series and the brochure devoted to candidatures for the 2001-2004 Executive Council.
He welcomed Carla Bonomi, who had recently joined the Secretariat to develop the ICOM Web site.

Lorna Abungu had been appointed director of AFRICOM. The Secretariat had received funds for the training of personnel at the Nubia Museum. In 2001, a training workshop on the Internet for Caribbean professionals would take place in Curaçao.
Finally, the Secretary General said that the proceedings of the workshop on cultural tourism that had been held in Peru and Bolivia were currently being prepared.

Jacques Perot thanked the Secretary General for his report. He recapitulated all the priority activities conducted by the Secretariat. He regretted the absence of Shaje'a Tshiluila, President of AFRICOM and Council member who had been unable to attend this meeting of the Executive Council. The members of the Executive Council unanimously thanked the Secretariat personnel for its work.

5. TREASURER'S REPORT

Piet Pouw, ICOM treasurer, presented the financial report. Regarding AFRICOM, he told members that he had represented the Executive Council on the AFRICOM bureau. The offices were located in Nairobi (Kenya). A secretarial assistant had been recruited. The President of the Republic had approved AFRICOM's request to be listed as a non-governmental organisation.

5.1. Financial situation on September 30 2000 and forecasts on 31.12.2000 [2000/SEC.07]

ICOM expected a positive result of 95,000 FF for the year 2000, but this amount was liable to be reduced by forthcoming expenditure. For the year 2000, the Executive Council had approved around 520,000 FF of extra-budgetary expenditure. However, forecasts seemed to show that this amount would not exceed 470 000 FF. Consequently, the end-of-year result for 2000 after extra-budgetary expenditure would be a deficit of 375,000 FF.

Fee revenues were estimated at 6,500,050 FF, an increase of 700,000 FF on the budget for 2000.

Expenditure on programme activities was down to an estimated amount 3,959,280 FF. The Treasurer noted that the UNESCO contract had been halved. Financial income had attained 108,000 FF. This was 160,000 FF less than the budgeted amount.

Ordinary income would amount to a positive 180,000 FF. However, income from programme activities would yield a negative result of 650,000 FF.
The grant from the Ford Foundation had been received and spent in 1999.

It was to be noted that in expenditure items, the sum of 385,000 FF allocated to salaries and social charges was down on the budget forecast. This was because of programme activities. Piet Pouw noted that the end-of-year bonus had not been provided for in the 2000 budget. It had been awarded by the Executive Council at the meeting on Sunday December 3 2000. This bonus was testimony to the appreciation of the work accomplished by the members of the Secretariat in 2000, especially the substantial work relative to the Reform Task Force (ICOM-RTF). This bonus would reduce the surplus mentioned at the start of the report.
The amount provided for the Executive Council and Advisory Committee meetings would be up by 70,000 FF because of additional meetings. Expenditure linked to the extraordinary meeting of the Advisory Committee, the UNESCO-ICOM Documentation Centre, and the recruitment of Carla Bonomi would be recorded at the end of 2000.

Four issues of ICOM News had been published.

Rental costs for the Web server and the services rendered by Cary Karp for the ICOM server had been higher.
Fee-related expenditure would be as forecast in the budget for the year 2000.

Income and expenditure from program activities balance out, except for the Blue Shield.

The Treasurer reminded the meeting that a budget had been allocated by the Executive Council at its exceptional meeting to enable the purchase of new furniture for the ICOM offices. He expressed his satisfaction with this initiative that he deemed necessary.

He said that he hoped that a satisfactory result would be produced at the end of the year. He thanked Sylvie Délice and Manus Brinkman for their cautious management, and Jack Dhennequin, chartered accountant for his judicious advice.

Jacques Perot thanked the Treasurer and conveyed the thanks of the Executive Council to all those who had been involved in handling financial issues at ICOM.
He said that he would like an amendment to be made to the page concerning income in the fight against illicit traffic where a donation from the Gould Foundation and the American Association of Museums (AAM) was mentioned. The President pointed out that the donation had been made by the Gould Foundation and had simply been transferred via the AAM.

Nancy Hushion, Chairperson of INTERCOM, spoke on behalf of her Committee and asked for a number of items to be added to the document to help the Executive Council to make necessary decisions:

She said that total administrative expenditure accounted for 42% of the total budget and not 14% as indicated in the budget. This was explained by the distribution of expenditures in other budget items. Nancy Hushion said that she was willing to make comments in writing if the Executive Council so wished.

Piet Pouw thanked the President for the analysis conducted by INTERCOM with the help of members specialised in management and accounting. He said that he would welcome the written report suggested by Nancy Hushion.
At the Advisory Committee meeting in June, he had said that a financial report would be presented at Barcelona in June 2001 and that this would contain the annual report for 2000, the budget for 2001 and the triennial budget for 2002-2004.
Further information on the surplus and investments would also be presented at Barcelona.

Bernice Murphy noted with pleasure that the financial situation of ICOM was healthy. She emphasised the members' confidence in the way the Secretary General, the Treasurer, the accountant and the charted accountant managed ICOM's finances. She reminded the Executive Council members of the Reform Task Force's recommendation that a Finance and Resources Committee be set up with a mandate to study the Organisation's financial possibilities and - notably - the presentation of the Organisation's financial documents.

Jacques Perot thanked Bernice Murphy and said that this recommendation had been approved by the Executive Council. He said that the form of financial documents might change to make them more readable and better documented. The Executive Council would be happy to receive any suggestions, particularly those made by INTERCOM and the Reform Task Force. The President also emphasised the importance of setting budgetary priorities concordant with the action plan defined for the Triennial period.

The Executive Council took due note of the financial situation but requested that the financial documents be presented differently at the Barcelona meetings in June and July 2001. This work should be done by the Executive Council in collaboration with the Secretariat.

Jack Dhennequin explained that there were two ways of presenting accounts. The form of the documents submitted to the Executive Council presented the advantage of being analytical and listed expenditure for each department. The chartered accountant agreed that the presentation was not ideal but appeared to him to be preferable to a presentation in which expenses were reported in accordance with the usual French accounting standards ("plan comptable"). As an example, he said that if the latter presentation were adopted, all salaries for all departments would have to be presented together as a single amount. Salaries were currently allocated to the different sections, and this he felt was preferable. He felt that the current presentation was sufficiently scrupulous. Further details might be made available but he was not convinced of the advisability of modifying the basic principles, as this would not bring greater clarity.

Jacques Perot said that the Finance and Resources Committee should work with those concerned by financial issues: the Treasurer, the Secretary General, the Accountant and the Chartered Accountant.

5.2. 2001 Draft Budget [2000/SEC.06]

Piet Pouw said that the budget had been established in accordance with the triennial budget for 1999-2001, approved by the General Assembly in Melbourne in 1998. It was based on the estimated costs for the year 2000. The exchange rate was $1 US = 5.70 FF.

Annual fees had been increased by 3% in accordance with the triennial budget. Because of the General Conference, membership in 1998 had been higher. Additional income might be received in 2001, if a student member category was created. The estimated total amount of fee income was 6,000,000 FF.

The UNESCO grant for administration and the Documentation Centre had been significantly reduced. ICOM would have to sell dollars or convert its financial income in order to consolidate its financial situation.
A number of contracts had been signed as part of the Programme Activities. The Secretary General mentioned the MEPOA programme for AFRICOM. A contract would also be signed with UNESCO as part of the monitoring of the training programme for Nubia Museum personnel. A training workshop on the protection of cultural heritage in Vietnam and a training workshop on the Internet scheduled to take place in Curaçao would receive contract support from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
A sum of around 290,000 FF would be received under the terms of the contracts.

Regarding the salaries of members of personnel, a planned rise of 30 points would enable the Secretary General to allocate salary increase on merit.
Carla Bonomi, Internet specialist, took up her functions in November 2000, and this job creation had been included in the 2001 budget.

Meeting-related expenditure had been increased. The 2001 budget also included the additional costs linked to the translation of the 1998-2001 triennial report. A special issue of ICOM News devoted to the General Conference would be published in 2001.

A sum of 300,000 FF had been allocated to the International Committee regular grants. This grant had been set in accordance with the number of voting members in each Committee. An exceptional sum of 336,800 FF had been budgeted for the National Committee, International Committee and Regional Organisation activities (this amount included the publication in 2001 of the Study Series issue devoted to ICMAH). This amount had been shared out among the following committees:

National Committees: CEICOM (this Association, presided by the Czech Republic National Committee, includes the National Committees of Central Europe: Germany, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia); Denmark, Latvia, Morocco, Russia and Venezuela.

International Committees: CECA, CIMAM, DEMHIST, ICR and UMAC. An issue of the Study Series would be published in 2002 by ICTOP.

Regional Organisations: ASPAC and Latin America (pending further information).

A budget of 39,000 FF for the maintenance of the Centre's database was included in the draft budget for 2001. The 139,000 FF difference between income and expenditure would be allocated to the positive result for the year 2000.

Jacques Perot warmly thanked the Treasurer for his presentation.

Martin Shaerer hoped that a further column would be added indicating the final costs for the previous year (i.e. 1999 because the balance sheet for 2000 would only be ready early in 2001).

Yani Herreman said that she had registered a proposal at the Secretariat for the Chaski publication as part of the activities of the Regional Organisation for Latin America and the Caribbean. This publication was important for the region. Moreover, she hoped that the Charter on Cultural Tourism would be published, as planned, at the meeting held in Peru and Bolivia.

Jacques Perot said that the Selection Committee had not yet received a document on the Chaski publication. The president proposed that the Executive Council submit requests to the Council and that these be studied in the course of the afternoon.

As a member of the Selection Committee, Alissandra Cummins reminded the meeting that she hoped that a sum be set aside to cover last minutes requests.

In answer to the question by Catherine Antomarchi of ICCROM, Manus Brinkman said that the sums due from contracts in the programme activity income matched the amounts provided for in the ICOM Triennial Programme. However, he said that some contracts were negotiated with regard to the priorities of the bodies that financed the projects.

Alissandra Cummins asked whether the amount indicated for the grant from the Réunion des musées nationaux de France was an estimate. If it were, it would appear wise not to be over-optimistic regarding the amount that would be effectively allocated. Furthermore, she queried the inclusion of this sum in the Organisation's ordinary income. Piet Pouw said that this was indeed an estimate and that the final amount would depend on the number of participants in International Museum Day.

Nancy Hushion asked for the figures indicated in the 2001 draft budget to be compared with those indicated in the 2000 and not the 1999 budget. Furthermore, she felt that the term "contracts due" referred to contracts that had been confirmed but for which the corresponding amounts had not yet been received by ICOM. The Secretary General's explanation seemed to indicate that the term covered contracts pending, some of which had not yet been presented to the funding organisations. Nancy Hushion asked for clarifications concerning the calculation of the 578,000 FF difference that appeared in the draft budget between expenditure and income for programme activities. Mónica Garrido supported these suggestions.

Manus Brinkman said that this income was not yet wholly certain. However, he felt that this amount could be covered without too much difficulty and could even be exceeded.

Piet Pouw explained that the cost of ICOM's personnel assigned to programme activities was not systematically included in the amount allocated by the funding organisations. Programme activities could not possibly cover all personnel costs linked to the implementation of the activities. Manus Brinkman said that the programme had already been considered as a vital part of the triennial programme, but never as a self-financing activity.

Bernice Murphy wondered whether it was a good idea for the Council to take decisions in view of the context of change that was currently affecting the Organisation both in terms of its finances and its Activities Programme. She reminded the meeting that income was increasingly coming from contracts. As Vice-President of ICOM and Chairperson of the Reform Task Force, she felt that ICOM should consider setting up a Finance and Resources Committee that would meet every three months to study the financial potential relative to the future development of the Organisation. Manus Brinkman supported this suggestion that would also help the Secretariat to reconsider the financial management of ICOM.

The Executive Council approved the general principle underlying the budget but suggested that more work was needed to work out the details. It should take account of the suggestions by Bernice Murphy. The Executive Council reserved the right to reconsider the draft budget and make possible amendments depending on the current development of the Organisation. The budget would be revised to take into account future expenditure.

5.3. Draft triennial budget 2002 - 2004 [2000/SEC.03]

Jacques Perot considered that it was too early to approve the triennial budget. The members of the Executive Council wished to have further information about a number of expenditure items linked to the implementation of the action plan. This might lead to a modification of the triennial budget. The analysis by Reform Task Force member Nancy Hushion had shown that an annual budget increase of 320,000 FF for the next four years would be necessary. This analysis did not take account of any priorities that might be identified by the Executive Council and was based on the strategic plan approved by the Advisory Committee.
Moreover, it would be desirable that the Executive Council adopt a clear principle regarding the reserves.

A revised budget would be put to the Executive Council before the meetings in Barcelona.

5.4. Budget provisions for the implementation of the new ".museum" domain name

Piet Pouw proposed that the Executive Council confirm the adoption of an extraordinary budget of 300,000 FF for the recruitment of an additional person assigned to the implementation of the new ".museum" domain name.

Cary Karp said that the sum of 300,000 FF earmarked by the Executive Council might prove insufficient for the implementation of the new ".museum" domain name. He reminded the meeting that one of the arguments put forward during negotiations with ICOM's partners was the assurance that ICOM could face up to the financial obligations engendered by the implementation of the project. These obligations were not wholly predictable. Expenditure would in all cases be recouped in the future. However, it would be necessary to invest a certain amount in order to generate a source of income.

Alissandra Cummins asked for a budget line to be added to keep track of any expenditure generated buy this programme.

Jacques Perot explained that the draft budget was not a final document. The Council could always adopt an extraordinary budget if this was necessary. The problem raised by ".museum" was the absence of tangible figures. The Executive Council had created an additional job as a means of reassuring and securing the financial commitment of the organisation that was the co-founder of MUSEDOMA. To date, ICOM had no idea of the other financial needs and of how ICOM might address these. ICOM was exploring possible alternative sources of income. Further information would be required on precise amounts.

Following a suggestion by Alissandra Cummins, the Executive Council decided that the sum allocated to the implementation of the ".museum" would be raised to 500,000 FF for 2001. The implementation of MUSEDOMA was considered as a priority objective and the members of the Executive Council would study all the future financial implications.

6. ADDRESSES BY REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ICOM PARTNER ORGANISATIONS

6.1. Report by the Representative of the Director General of UNESCO

Mounir Bouchenaki said that he was delighted to participate in the discussions at ICOM. He was speaking as representative of Koïchiro Matsuura, Director General of UNESCO and as Sub-Director general for Culture. He reminded the meeting of the years that he had spent at the Cultural Heritage Division and the World Heritage Centre and said that his appointment was the result of the value and the recognition of the work accomplished jointly by UNESCO and its partners in the field of cultural and natural heritage. More particularly this included the work carried out for many years with ICOM, ICOMOS, IUA (International Union of Architects), IFLA, specialised non-governmental organisations, ICCROM, and inter-governmental organisations. Mounir Bouchenaki spoke of his determination to pursue cooperation, focusing on the same directions. He wanted efforts to be concerted for a reform of the institutions and the formulation of new activities to address the new demands of society. The strategic transversal priorities defined by the Director General of UNESCO and confirmed by the UNESCO Executive Council were as follows:

The cultural sector would be focusing on diversity, cultural pluralism, and the dialogue between cultures and civilisations. Common property, diversity and knowledge were consequently the key words forming the basis of the universal value of cultural and natural heritage. UNESCO, with professional organisations like ICOM, works to achieve a deeper and wider knowledge of this heritage in both its tangible and intangible forms. It is also dedicated to building the concept of common property and uniting societies in their diversity around common values.

Mounir Bouchenaki insisted on the need to focus on cultural diversity as a source of enrichment. By creating new knowledge on heritage and making this highly specialised knowledge available in forms accessible to the greatest possible number, museum professionals are working to make cultural and natural heritage comprehensible, shared and valued by contemporary societies. No heritage conservation policy can be viable if, downstream, the ethical, historical, social and artistic values embodied in the heritage are not shared. This is why the action by museum professionals is inseparable from action to protect and restore the cultural and natural heritage.

Mounir Bouchenaki spoke of his interest in the ICOM Reform Task Force and the Strategic Plan for 2001-2007, which embodies the main recommendations. He noted with satisfaction the convergence of UNESCO and ICOM's actions for the promotion of the fundamental values of understanding, respect for difference, diversity, competency, solidarity and support for interdisciplinary and intercultural initiatives.

The current media interest in issues such as the Nok statues demonstrated the relevance of the missions and related issues, even though these were sometimes difficult to implement, especially when there was a need to address the contradictions between bilateral cooperation policies and the legislation adopted at multilateral level. The work of UNESCO and ICOM was a long-term commitment and its ethical dimension should constantly and primarily be asserted, whatever the specific economic conditions in which it had to be applied.

Mounir Bouchenaki also mentioned the importance accorded by ICOM to the new information technologies and communication in ICOM's three strategic objectives for the period 2001-2007. Here again, he noted an approach similar to that of UNESCO in the reorientation of its programmes. Indeed, in addition to its sector objectives, two major transversal themes had been adopted by the UNESCO Executive Council: the contribution of the new information and communication technologies to the development of culture and the building of a knowledge-based society. It was fundamental to enhance and reinforce the role of museums at all levels in the information-driven society because museums would be in a strong position to occupy the field of cultural knowledge on the World Wide Web. The adoption by ICANN of the ".museum" domain was significant of the potential of this institution and showed that there was an international consensus on this point. It was however regrettable that UNESCO had not been more actively involved in this development. The cultural sector was consequently ready to work with ICOM in this direction.

In its last World Culture Report 2000, UNESCO attempted to make known the diversity and cultural wealth that museums could promote on the Internet by publishing a non-exhaustive inventory of museum Web sites in all the member States. UNESCO wished to pursue this work and consider with ICOM the question of access portals to information and cultural knowledge.

Mounir Bouchenaki told Executive Council members of the recent activities in the museum-related sector. Some of the actions mentioned were conducted with ICOM officials. In Egypt, he had worked with Manus Brinkman, Piet Pouw and Jennifer Thévenot on the very positive appraisal of the Aswan Museum that was now open to the public. This museum was highly successful and was considered by the Egyptians and all the experts who had visited it as a model. There was every reason to be satisfied with the close collaboration and cooperation between UNESCO and ICOM.

There were however two major new projects in Egypt:

The preparatory studies had been conducted as part of the bilateral cooperation between Egypt and Italy.
A number of questions were raised regarding Egypt's ability to finance these two major projects. The contents of the collections were also queried, as was the future of the existing Museum in Cairo, one of the oldest museums in Africa. Mounir Bouchenaki also asked ICOM to give thought to the future of this institution.

Mounir Bouchenaki said that these perspectives were in fact a continuation of the existing working relationship with ICOM.

In Kuwait, the Cultural Heritage Division was pursuing two projects for the reopening of the National Museum of Kuwait scheduled for 2003. The first concerned the conservation and restoration of the Islamic Art collection and the second the building itself.

Furthermore, Mounir Bouchenaki told members of a request received for the rehabilitation of the Baghdad Museum (Iraq). Concrete proposals were being studied for the restoration of the buildings, the restoration of the objets and the training of the Baghdad Museum personnel. This project was being prepared for submission to the funds deposited in Japan. Here, Mounir Bouchenaki pointed out that these museums were located in conflict zones, notably the Baghdad Museum. Mounir Bouchenaki announced that with the solidarity work by ICOM and a number of non-governmental organisations, in association with ICOM and UNESC0, the Beirut Museum had been reopened.

Mounir Bouchenaki wished to mention the work accomplished by Lyndel Prott, in charge of the Standards Division as part of the International Committee for the Blue Shield with the distribution in Kosovo of a brochure in Albanian, English and Serbian, containing the fundamental principles for the protection of cultural heritage, in order to prevent further destruction. In Kosovo, there had been much loss of life and destruction of cultural heritage. Damage had been perpetrated on monuments and to museum collections. The situation in these museums warranted the attention of ICOM, which could make a contribution.

Mounir Bouchenaki told members of the visit by Pascal Makambila (Congo) who had come to testify to the situation of museum professionals in his country. UNESCO, which had received the support of the United Nations Foundation for natural heritage, regarding the management and preservation of the Congolese natural parks, was concerned by this situation and wished to help to rebuild the fabric of the cultural heritage. He hoped that UNESCO would be able to secure financing to help with this region which was suffering badly.

Mounir Bouchenaki told members about the projects conducted by divisions other than Cultural Heritage. At the request of the Director General and in response to wishes by the members States, the Division of Cultural Pluralism would now be renamed as the Division of Cultural Policies. This division had been closely associated with the definition of the ARS AEVI Museum Centre of Contemporary Art in Sarajevo. One of the key aspects of the project had been the promotion of inter-cultural communication through art. This was a very ambitious project with great symbolic value that would contribute to restoring Sarajevo's vocation as crossroads of all cultures.

In May 2000, Mounir Bouchenaki had met the architect Renzo Piano, in charge of monitoring the project with its authors, working in an NGO. The first phase - collection of works of art of major importance - donated to the museum could constitute a useful approach to this view of a museum based on co-existence and dialogue.

As regarded the review MUSEUM International, a fundamental link, and sometimes a unique source of information for professionals in some regions, especially the developing countries, Mounir Bouchenaki reminded the meeting that a reorientation project was being studied. He insisted on the need for UNESCO to use the periodical to pursue its action in the dissemination of information and knowledge on museums and heritage to the professional communities, the decision-makers and the general public. This survey would be conducted within the institutional context of very tight budgetary constraints and the overhaul of the programmes.

Mounir Bouchenaki thanked Nancy Hushion for her contribution when, with Marcia Lord, former chief editor and under the authority of Hernán Crespo Toral, during the first discussions on the enhancement and adaptation of the periodical to the modern world. Jacques Perot had been closely associated with this study.
Isabelle Vinson was the newly appointed editor. She would work with Lourdes Arizpe on a study of the relationship between cultural promotion and the development of new technologies. The publication might go on-line on the UNESCO Web site. This solution, if adopted, would offer the advantage of substantially reducing costs. Within the general perspective of a cut-down in publications, the UNESCO Executive Council had already decided to cancel the Spanish, Russian and Arabic versions for the year 2001. A letter had also been sent to the English publisher Blackwell notifying the end of the co-publishing contract to take effect as of the year 2001.
Mounir Bouchenaki emphasised that this in no way meant that UNESCO was reducing its commitment to the propagation of knowledge. However, this work should be accomplished in ways that were adapted to the new conditions of communication, the new issues affecting heritage and museums, and the new issues decided by UNESCO.
ICOM was and would be regularly associated with the next biennium, 2002-2003. Mounir Bouchenaki concluded his address, looking forward to the future productive discussions between UNESCO and the ICOM Executive Council. He reminded the meeting that the Director General of UNESCO would attend the next ICOM General Conference. The Spanish Ambassador to UNESCO had said that the organisation would be linked to the official visit of the Director General to Spain, and more specifically to Madrid in July 2001.

Jacques Perot thanked the representative of the Director General, who, despite his heavy workload and new functions, had come to participate in the work of the Executive Council. This was an encouragement for ICOM. UNESCO's newly defined priorities were concordant with the analysis by ICOM. The President noted with interest the major missions concerning museums. As regarded the new ".museum" domain name, Jacques Perot said that this was a new step forward. This was an initiative that should cover heritage in the broad sense. In any event, ICOM would be very happy to discuss the implementation of the initiative with UNESCO.
The new organisation and review processes within the Cultural Policies Division were important issues. ICOM was also ready and willing to discuss the new format of the MUSEUM INTERNATIONAL magazine with UNESCO. ICOM was particularly sensitive and attached to its relations with UNESCO, as well as to the idea of the development of these relationships on the basis of the new priorities. A number of joint actions might be envisaged for the future. Finally, ICOM was delighted that it would be welcoming Koïchiro Matsuura to the General Conference. This testified to the latter's interest in ICOM and museums that the President had noted when he had visited the Director General with Manus Brinkman.

Lucía Astudillo wished to congratulate Mounir Bouchenaki on his appointment. She reminded the meeting of their collaboration in the fight against illicit traffic. She also mentioned the recent anniversary of the Hague Convention celebrated in Paris. She was also delighted that the walled town of Cuenca had been included in the World Heritage List. She asked Mounir Bouchenaki to bear in mind the need for a printed version of MUSEUM International for countries that were not yet able to access the Internet.

6.2. Address by the Representative of ICOMOS

Jean-Louis Luxen, Secretary General of ICOMOS, thanked the President for his invitation to participate in the work of the Executive Council. He ensured ICOM that ICOMOS was ready and willing to join in all forms of cooperation. he had noted the convergence between the themes of the ICOM and ICOMOS general assemblies, both addressing the issues of intangible heritage. ICOMOS would hold its 13th General assembly on the theme: "Place, Memory and Meaning: Valuing Intangibles" from 15 to 21 October 2002 in Harare (Zimbabwe). Jean-Louis Luxen asked ICOM for its support because it was currently very difficult to stage a meeting in Sub-Saharan Africa. In many African countries, conservation professionals were members of ICOM and ICOMOS. He invited the two organisations to unite their efforts to ensure that this General assembly was a success.
He was delighted with the development of universities via the "UNESCO Forum - University and Heritage" network. The next meeting was due to take place in the Lebanon. In connection with the organiser of the forum, a protocol to set up a more structured cooperation between the UNESCO initiatives and ICOMOS would be signed. He felt that it was natural that a similar protocol be concluded with ICOM, and a common calendar established. A meeting in Valencia would be organised at the end of 2001. Jean-Louis Luxen hoped that this would provide the opportunity to present the joint ICOM-ICOMOS activities and sign an agreement.

Jean-Louis Luxen took due note of the discussions surrounding the ICOM budget and took up the suggestion by Bernice Murphy regarding modes of financing. The approach should henceforth be to think in terms of contracts related to projects supported by partners. He felt that it was important to achieve better coordination between ICOM and ICOMOS. As an example, he mentioned the World Bank where it would be a good idea to directly present joint actions, notably within the scope of cultural tourism, an area dear to ICOMOS, but also to ICOM. In the interest of heritage, joint action would provide a means to efficiently reinforce protection.
Jean-Louis Luxen said that the European Union also had substantial means at its disposal. ICOMOS was seeking for programmes to be extended beyond the scope of European cooperation into the broader framework of international cooperation. Programmes existed for the Mediterranean basin, the Asian countries, the Caribbean, the Pacific and the Balkans. He felt that it was important that with ICOM they contest the European Union's practice of launching appeals for proposals. Recognised organisations such as ICOM, ICOMOS and others should ask to present a number of projects directly, notably when these involved cooperation between Europe and other parts of the world.

Jacques Perot thanked Jean-Louis Luxen for his address. He reminded the meeting of the many meetings that had been held with ICOMOS to implement joint action. He asked the Secretary General to examine ways in which ICOM could contribute to the preparation of the General Assembly in Zimbabwe and collaborate in ICOMOS projects. He also thanked Jean-Louis Luxen for the points he had raised about the European Union, and thanked him for his regular attendance at ICOM's meeting, thereby testifying to the close relations between the two organisations.

6.3. Report by the Representative of ICCROM

Catherine Antomarchi told members that Nicholas Stanley-Price, Director General, had been retained in Australia for the World Heritage meeting. She conveyed his apologies for being unable to attend the Executive Council meeting.

She reminded the meeting of the issues on which ICCROM had collaborated with ICOM, as defined by the Director General and Jacques Perot at a recent meeting:

A meeting had been held in Vaanta with representatives of twenty-three European countries. Cristina Menegazzi, specialist on the ICOM programme, had attended this meeting to help to delineate a global strategy, notably regarding the development of public awareness, access to information via new technologies, the problems of legislation and institutional programming.

Catherine Antomarchi reminded the meeting of ICCROM's participation in the activities of PIMA (Pacific Islands Museums Association), an ICOM Affiliated Organisation. A sub-regional training course on the programming of preventive conservation in museums and archives had been organised in Cuba. Here, ICCROM had been able to meet personnel from the UNESCO bureau who had stressed the importance of developing a regional approach to the Caribbean where there was a genuine willingness to collaborate. Work should involve the Caribbean institutions as a whole, irrespective of linguistic barriers. ICCROM was consequently considering the implementation of a programme to address this demand.

Catherine Antomarchi appealed to the Executive Council to develop genuine collaboration between the two Organisations. She felt that it was imperative to communicate on each organisation's projects and start to work together as soon as possible.

She reminded the meeting that, following the PREMA programme, ICCROM had founded the School of African Heritage in Benin, and the "Programme for Museum Development in Africa" in Mombasa (Kenya) in collaboration with the national museums of Kenya. This programme was at the origin of activities that went far beyond the scope of conservation. For example, she said that a workshop on museum animation techniques had been organised. Other projects were in progress, notably a project entitled "Museum and Children for a Better World" prepared in collaboration with the Commonwealth Association of Museums (CAM), an ICOM Affiliated Organisation.

Catherine Antomarchi asked members attending the meeting of the AFRICOM Bureau in Nairobi to travel to Mombasa, in a spirit of collaboration, in order to see the structure of the buildings that generally house classrooms and a library.

The ICCROM General Assembly proposed a training project for personnel in the countries of South-East Asia that would help to reinforce the preservation of the collections. Many of the continent's countries were interested. Catherine Antomarchi wished for collaboration to start immediately with ICOM.

Catherine Antomarchi reminded the meeting that ICCROM had hosted the annual meeting of the International Committee for Conservation (ICOM-CC).

The ICCROM Advisory Committee had met with a view to reducing the ICCROM Executive Council from 22 to around 14 persons.

Jacques Perot thanked Catherine Antomarchi. ICOM wished to step up its collaboration with ICCROM. He said that he was happy with the projects developed by ICCROM and said that ICOM could be interested in participating. He would forward Catherine Antomarchi's remarks to the President of AFRICOM.

Yani Herreman wished to congratulate ICCROM for implementing the preventive conservation project.

6.4. Report by the Representative of the World Federation of Friends of Museums

Annick Bourlet, President of WFFM/Europe apologised on behalf of President Carla Bossi who had been unable to attend this meeting of the Executive Council. Annick Bourlet read the document prepared by Carla Bossi.

"On behalf of the World Federation of Friends of Museums, Carla Bossi wished to thank ICOM for the opportunity to address the members of the Executive Council. The President said that the recent discussions at WFFM meetings had addressed the need to clarify relations between cultural authorities, museum professionals, friends of museums, and volunteers. The implementation of the Code of Ethics was a powerful force towards the practical achievement of this goal. However, there was still a long way to go. This was why WFFM was particularly happy to participate in the round table to be held at the ICOM General Conference in Barcelona, in July 2001. Museum Friends and professionals would be invited in a way that would ensure a geographical representation of the Asia-Pacific, Europe, North and America regions. Topics on the agenda would lie within the general theme defined for the ICOM General Conference. In agreement with ICOM, several other themes had been suggested:

The conclusions of this round table should be recorded in a document that could be used by both ICOM and FMAM.

The President wished to emphasise the role played by the friends as representatives of the general public, who should be perceived by the authorities as a complementary rather than a competitive entity. She took this opportunity to offer her New year greetings to all the members of the Council on behalf of WFFM and wished the Organisation every success".

Annick Bourlet wanted to bring the Council up to date with the work done by WFFM world-wide. The Federation had asked the national federations to voice their main concerns, specifying the particular difficulties they encountered and/or success stories. Annick Bourlet mentioned the answer received by France, pointing out that many federations of friends of museums throughout the world faced the same problems. For the last three years, The French Federation had been involved in associations in which had not been represented at all. Thus, it had discovered an important, organised network of associations. Dialogue with the authorities that provide the financial backing for these associations was admittedly not always easy. These were associations for economic solidarity, sport, the environment, the underprivileged classes, etc.; the world of culture was insufficiently involved with these initiatives. A cultural coordination network of eighteen national federations (music, dance, theatre, cinema, literature, heritage, museums, etc.) had been set up. Till now, it seemed that this coordination was working parallel to the existing associative solidarity. Annick Bourlet emphasised the need for this situation to develop so that the coordination was no longer parallel but transversal, intersecting with the general associative solidarity movement. The development of regional organisations should be part of the territorial development programmes. This situation did not just exist in France. Annick Bourlet mentioned the existence of a document in Great Britain, acting as a form of contract of good conduct as a blueprint for dialogue between the British Prime Minister and the representatives of associations. A similar document existed in Portugal.
In France, a group had just drafted a contract to support the dialogue with the authorities. The cultural associations wished to take part in this dialogue. The setting up of structures to favour dialogue with the authorities was the main concern of WFFM. The process would be lengthy but an open approach to society was essential for friends of museums who were neither in charge of collections nor responsible for museum management. The WFFM wished to devote itself entirely with the other associations to solidarity with the widest possible public.

Jacques Perot thanked Annick Bourlet for her very interesting address. He asked her to convey to Carla Bossi, President of WFFM, the Executive Council's congratulations for her appointment and looked forward to working together. He said that the round table scheduled for Barcelona might be modified by agreement with ICOM. The President confirmed the reference that was made to societies of friends of museums in the revised version of the ICOM code of Ethics. This reflected the mutual esteem in which the two organisations held each other. He was delighted at the work that had been accomplished by the French Federation of Societies of Friends of Museums. The opening of museums towards a wider-ranging public was also a major concern of ICOM.

6.5. Report on the ICOM Foundation

Eloisa Zell read the report by the President of the ICOM Foundation to the members of the Executive Council.

Christine Boël apologised for being unable to attend the Executive Council meeting, as she was currently responsible for the "Films on Art" activities under the French Presidency of the Union European.
In her report she said:

Finally, the President announced that the Foundation would be able to provide grants for the Barcelona General Conference worth a total of $9,000 US that would enable ICOM members from countries in difficulty to attend the Conference.

The Executive Council thanked the President of the ICOM Foundation for the efforts made to develop the membership of the Friends of the Foundation and for the generous contribution to the grants for ICOM 2001.

7. REPORT BY THE REFORM TASK FORCE (ICOM-RTF)

Bernice Murphy, Chairperson of the Reform Task Force (ICOM-RTF), reminded the meeting that Jacques Perot and Alissandra Cummins had attended all the meetings. Their participation had been essential to the orientations that ICOM was defining. Lucía Astudillo, Executive Council member, had also attended most of the meetings. Bernice Murphy thanked the Secretariat for its help since October 2000 in writing the Strategic Action plan, and Nancy Hushion for her coordination work. She reminded the meeting that the work group had met six times since it was set up. Several documents had been assembled in an extensive report entitled "A tool box for renovating ICOM: report from ICOM-RTF": the Organisation's mission and values had been reviewed and a list of recommendations drawn up, as well as a Strategic Action plan. She said that the report retraced the history of the Organisation and would also be useful for the implementation of the programme decided by the forthcoming General Assembly. The Advisory Committee and the Executive Council had been invited to study the two documents: the summary of the recommendations including ICOM's mission and values, and the Strategic Action plan for 2001-2007. The latter focused on the future of the Organisation, did not specify how the plan would be implemented, but concentrated mainly on the strategy that might be developed by an Organisation undergoing a process of far-reaching change.

She thanked members of the Reform Task Force and would ensure that they were thanked individually. She reminded the meeting of the quality of the discussions held with the Advisory Committee. Members had participated and discussed the essential points. Their contribution had enabled the Reform task Force to make considerable progress. (cf. 2000/AD.13: Minutes of the Extraordinary Meeting of the Advisory Committee, December 2000, Paris, France)

Jacques Perot reminded the meeting that the members of the Executive Council had already attended the Extraordinary Meeting of the Advisory Committee at which the Task Force's report had been discussed. He proposed that the Executive Council comply with the schedule for the implementation of the reforms to ascertain what might be accomplished on the statutory and organisational levels.
On behalf of the Executive Council, he wished to express his warmest thanks to Bernice Murphy, Task Force Chairperson. He asked her to convey the Council's thanks to all the members of the Task Force. This work would be a major landmark in the life of ICOM and would provide the basis for the reforms that would need to be pursued through the period 2001-2004. The Executive Council expressed its recognition for the work accomplished by the Task Force Chairperson who, with the constant support of Nancy Hushion, had helped ICOM to take a step forward.

8. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO THE ICOM STATUTES AND REVISION OF THE CODE OF PROFESSIONAL ETHICS

The Executive Council adopted the amendments to the ICOM Statutes proposed by the Advisory Committee and presented by Alissandra Cummins. The document would be available in English, French and Spanish. The proposals would be adopted by the members attending the General Assembly in Barcelona, in July 2001.
The revised Code of Professional Ethics would also be presented to the General Assembly with the modifications proposed by the Advisory Committee during the extraordinary meeting. The Executive Council wished to express its gratitude to Geoffrey Lewis, chairman of the Ethics Committee. A more wide-ranging review of the Code would be undertaken by the Committee over the next three years.

9. REPORTS BY OTHER WORK GROUPS OF THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL

Jacques Perot went over the recommendations by the Reform Task Force(ICOM-RTF) and proposed the ratification of the creation of two work groups: the first on International Committees, and the second on National Committees.
Alissandra Cummins expressed the Advisory Committee's satisfaction concerning the creation of these two groups and indicated the members who wished to join them:

National Committees: Lucía Astudillo, member of the Executive Council, Ann Davis (Canada), Hadwig Kraeutler (Austria), John McAvity (Canada), Katla Tlachová (CEICOM, Czech Republic), Knut Wik (Norway), Aidan Walsh (United Kingdom).

The remit of this group would clearly indicate that the problem of admitting students as members of ICOM would be studied as a priority. This problem would also be studied by the International Committees work group.

International Committees: David Elliott (CIMAM), David Grattan (ICOM-CC), Nancy Hushion (INTERCOM), Sandra Lorimer (ICEE), Per Rekdal (ICME), Martin Schaerer, member of the Executive Council.

Yani Herreman proposed two additional people: Lourdes Turrent (Mexico) for the National Committees and María Ismenia Toledo (Venezuela) for the International Committees.

Alissandra Cummins indicated that the people mentioned above had asked to be able to put forward other candidates once they had returned to their countries. Alissandra Cummins asked the council to reserve its decision on the definitive composition of the work groups. A reminder would be sent to the members of the Advisory Committee at the beginning of January 2001, asking them to send their proposals to the ICOM Secretariat before a specified date.

Following the comments made by Mónica Garrido, Alissandra Cummins made it clear that the 2001-2007 Strategic Action Plan allowed for the setting up of a work group on Regional Organisations.
Jacques Perot supported this proposal, given the number of members absent from the extraordinary meeting of the Advisory Committee. Moreover, the participation of two Executive Council members per group would be preferable. Consultation by e-mail would enable these two groups to be rapidly created, after having received the proposals from Advisory Committee members.
Bernice Murphy hoped that these two groups would be able to present an initial report at the Barcelona 2001 General Conference.

Jacques Perot indicated that the work group's mandate on nominations would be clearly defined. A review of election procedures would be led by the Executive Council.

Alissandra Cummins made clear that the criteria for the composition of the work group on nominations would have to be studied, as well as its responsibilities and working methods concerning the electoral process. A detailed proposal would be circulated at Barcelona.

Jacques Perot reminded the meeting that at statutory level, the problem of elections could only be dealt with by an Extraordinary General Assembly by correspondence, in 2002. This meant that this Assembly could only take place after an Advisory Committee, and therefore after the month of June 2002. The preparatory work would have to be carried out after Barcelona and June 2002. He proposed that the legal aspects be studied internally but that a work group be created at Barcelona to study electoral procedures. Jacques Perot was reluctant to create too many work groups straight away. He indicated that the members had not been consulted, nor indeed had the Advisory Committee, since a number of members had not attended the extraordinary meeting. With respect to the problem of elections, he suggested waiting for the meeting that would take place in Barcelona. Conversely, work would begin immediately concerning the content and composition of the Committee on nominations.

Nancy Hushion suggested that this work should be entrusted to the Reform Task Force that could study the two aspects of the problem, as it could be sensitive to separate the creation of the Nominations Group from the electoral procedures.
Bernice Murphy supported this proposal. Nevertheless, she suggested that the Executive Council could also consider these two issues.

Jacques Perot reminded the meeting that the first priority was to define more precisely the Nominations Committee (its creation, composition and functions). In parallel, it would be useful to study the problems linked to elections. This was less urgent within the process, since any possible modifications would only be implemented after the meeting in Barcelona. On the other hand, the Nominations Committee would have to be formed at the Barcelona meeting.

The Reform Task Force would study the suggestions issued by the Advisory Committee and would draw up a list of the questions raised. This would enable suitable modifications to be proposed to the ICOM Statutes following the Barcelona meeting.

10. 2001-2007 STRATEGIC PLAN PROJECT

Alissandra Cummins reminded the meeting that Nancy Hushion had presented this plan. The members of the Advisory Committee were very favourable towards the proposals contained in the Strategic Plan. A certain number of modifications were carried out - apart from those concerning the Organisation's mission and values -:

Objective 1: review of electoral procedures;

Page 6: members requested that a research project be undertaken and steered by the Executive Council on intellectual and ethical questions, etc. This request would be integrated into objective 1 between numbers 6 and 7.

Objective 3: In the paragraph on communication (between points 3 and 4) it would be appropriate to add a paragraph on the problem of the use of languages in ICOM publications. Jacques Perot indicated that the Reform Task Force should send out a modified version to members of the Executive Council.

The Executive Council approved the Strategic Plan with its modifications. The Secretary General should make proposals for an operational plan that would implement the strategic actions for the next three years. This internal Secretariat document would be presented solely to the Executive Council.

11. REPORT ON THE INTERNET

Cary Karp informed the members on the next stages in setting up the new ".museum" domain name. Negotiations between ICOM and MUSEDOMA would be taking place shortly. Once the contract with ICANN had been signed, it would be sent to the United States Trade Department, the body responsible for authorising those who manage Internet databases. Cary Karp took great care to ensure that MUSEDOMA would be in a position to negotiate on all practical aspects with no difficulties at either budget or resources level. He indicated that this was a risk that needed to be taken if ICOM wished to "stay in the race". He hoped to be able to present concrete proposals at the meeting that would take place in Barcelona in July 2001. He reassured ICOM on the financial aspect of this project. There was no risk that MUSEDOMA would go out of business. The J. Paul Getty Trust Foundation had agreed to negotiate, on condition that ICOM would be able to find the funds to recruit an additional full-time person. For its part, ICOM hoped that the J. Paul Getty Trust Foundation would be able to subsidise the other financial requirements. A document published with the help of Nancy Hushion, showed the financial implications for ICOM in 2001 and 2002. Three Organisations have a financial involvement in this project: ICOM, the J. Paul Getty Trust Foundation and The Swedish Museum of Natural History, which provided Cary Karp's salary and travel expenses over the first five years in order to enable the project to be completed. For the first year, those who enrolled to be eligible to use the ".museum" domain name would have to pay a fee higher than the actual costs linked to the infrastructure. MUSEDOMA would eventually be self-funding but an initial investment would be required, which ICOM should recoup over time.

In response to a question from Piet Pouw, Cary Karp indicated that the founder members (ICOM and the J. Paul Getty Trust) would recover their initial investment according to the surplus revenue realised. However, it was not certain that this would be possible. Furthermore, he confirmed that it was essential to find other partners for this project. UNESCO had shown an interest, as had as other foundations in the United States. Were there to be a deficit, these bodies could be called upon. In addition, the management could be transferred to another body, should MUSEDOMA be unable to complete its mission.

Jacques Perot restated his congratulations to Cary Karp on behalf of all the members of the Executive Committee. He reminded the meeting that ICOM was one of the founder members of MUSEDOMA and that he was determined to do everything possible to ensure the project's success. It was important that ICOM should finance this project and not simply lend its name to it. Fundraising would be undertaken, were this to prove necessary. On the same subject, Jacques Perot informed members that MUSEDOMA was comprised of a board of four directors: two belonging to the J. Paul Getty Trust Foundation, and the other two being Bernice Murphy and himself.

12. GENERAL CONFERENCES

121.1. REPORT ON THE ORGANISATION OF THE ICOM GENERAL CONFERENCE

Andrea García Sastre, Vice-President, presented the report on the organisation of the ICOM General Conference. She indicated to those members present, the suggestions made to her during the meeting of the Advisory Committee and during the meeting of the ICOM 2001 work group, which was held on the morning of Wednesday 6th December 2000. She took due note of the remarks made, which would be implemented on her return to Barcelona. She also noted members' concerns about the round-table discussions, which could coincide with the International Committees' programmes. Andrea García Sastre informed members of her meeting with Nancy Hushion, Chairperson of INTERCOM, who would study the programme of parallel meetings and send her suggestions to the Organisation Committee before 20th December this year.

The ICOM 2001 Web site would be improved to contain the necessary information for members to register. In January 2001, the Organisation Committee would publish a brochure of information including the registration form for the General Conference.

Andrea García Sastre showed a prototype of the poster that would be produced for the General Conference. The members of the Executive Council insisted that it was essential to make the ICOM logo visible and that it should have the same prominence as the logo for the Conference, rather than those for the bodies that financed it.

Jordi Pereit i Estrada reminded members that the Spanish Government was one of the co-organisers of the conference. All public authorities requested a certain balance in displaying the logos of the various partners.

Alissandra Cummins, backed by all the members of the Executive Council, indicated that it was ICOM's General Conference, and not a conference on museums. For this reason, ICOM should appear prominently on all conference publications. On a general note, the President indicated that the ICOM Secretariat should be informed beforehand, and with sufficient notice, of all publications featuring the ICOM name.

Jordi Pereit i Estrada mentioned the difficulties experienced in contacting some International Committees that had not yet announced their programme for the conference. Furthermore, it was difficult for them to take decisions given the heavy demands from the International Committees for resources.

The members of the Executive Council asked the Organisation Committee to send as a matter of urgency, to all International Committees, a list of resources that would be provided free of charge to International Committees (simultaneous translation, premises, etc.) indicating the exact cost of additional equipment not provided by the Organisation Committee. Furthermore, the Executive Council asked the Secretary General to remain in close contact with the Organisation Committee and to intervene where there were problems concerning specific requests from the International Committees. If conflicts occurred, it would be the responsibility of the latter to decide whether the International Committees' requests were reasonable with respect to the Organisation Committee's available resources. Furthermore, all documentation on the organisation of the conference should be sent in advance to the Secretariat. The Executive Council indicated that the definitive list of speakers should be sent as a matter of urgency to the Secretary General. The schedule of parallel meetings should be submitted to Council members after incorporation of the remarks and suggestions by Nancy Hushion.
Finally, the Executive Council asked the Organisation Committee to see to an improvement in the translation of documents in English and French.

12.2. Study of the agendas for the 2001 General Assembly and General Conference.

The Executive Council approved the agendas for the 2001 General Assembly and General Conference, but reserved the right to amend them if necessary.

With respect to the Resolutions Committee, Alissandra Cummins requested that the Committee be formed before the Conference, so that its members could prepare themselves effectively by reading previously adopted resolutions.

The Executive Council agreed to the principle of the Resolution Committee's formation early in 2001.

12.3. Intervention by the representative from Korea,

Dr. In-Sook Lee, Vice-Chairperson of the National Committee of Korea explained the language problems experienced by members of the National Committee. They did not always understand the English. She announced the wish of the National Committee to invite professionals from North Korea to participate in the General Conference to be held in Seoul in 2004. She asked for the Executive Council's help in contacting professionals from this region.

Jacques Perot thanked her and indicated that the definitive decision concerning the location of the 2004 General Conference would be ratified by the General Assembly in Barcelona in 2001. The plan to invite members from North Korea to the 2004 General Conference was important for ICOM.

12.4. Questionnaire for National Committees for the 2007 General Conference

The questionnaire would be reviewed by the Secretary General in the light of questions raised by the Barcelona Organisation Committee. It would be sent to members of the Executive Council by e-mail.

13. NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEES

Eloisa Zell presented her report to the members of the Executive Council.

13.1. National Committees

13.1.1. Reorganised Committees

The National Committees of Burundi and Mauritania that were in arrears had regularized their membership situation and are considered active. The Indonesian Committee had been reorganised in collaboration with the General Directorate for Culture of Indonesia.

The Executive Council took due note of the status of these National Committees.

13.1.2. Membership fees

The following National Committees had not paid the statutory minimum of five membership fees for 2000: Libya, Uzbekistan, the Seychelles, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The Executive Council took due note of this situation and agreed that a letter would be sent directly to the members of theses Committees, inviting them to pay their membership fees directly with to Secretariat.

13.1.3. New National Committee

A National Committee was being created in Vietnam.

The Executive Council decided to approve the creation of this Committee provided that it satisfied the statutory requirements.

With respect to the request for the creation of an ICOM National Committee in the Netherlands Antilles, the Dutch National Committee indicated that it would only give its approval if a precedent for this type had been recorded. Eloisa Zell indicated that this had never occurred within ICOM.

13.1.4. ICOM Fund

Eloisa Zell informed members that the Fund total stood at 22,676.86 FF.

The National Committee for Bosnia-Herzegovina requested that five of its members benefit from the ICOM Fund for 2000.

Two Committees asked to benefit from the ICOM Fund in 2001 for five of their members (making a sum of 537 FF per Committee): these were the National Committee of Indonesia and the National Committee of Vietnam.

The Executive Council decided to grant these requests for aid for 2000 and 2001 within the framework of the ICOM Fund.

13.1.5. Special subside for 2001

For 2001, the Executive Committee decided to apply the reduced rate reserved for the least developed countries - to the individual members only - of the National Committees of Botswana and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (Serbia & Montenegro).

13.2. International Committees

13.2.1. Request for the creation of an International Committee

A request for a new International Committee for City Museums was presented by the Russian National Committee, following a meeting held in Moscow.

The Executive Council requested that the procedure laid down in the Statutes concerning the establishment of new International Committees be followed. This request would be forwarded to the Advisory Committee for its opinion.

13.2.2. Regular grant allocated to the International Committees

In accordance with the membership list of 30th November 2000, approved by the Executive Council, Eloisa Zell indicated that the regular grant allocated to the International Committees is 41 FF per active voting member for 2001.

The Executive Council approved this increase. Jacques Perot thanked Eloisa Zell for her report.

14. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS

Manus Brinkman summarised the situation in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, it was very difficult to obtain the funding required to implement the programme. This region was currently far from arousing the interest of funding institutions. Conversely, voluntary organisations were becoming involved. A brochure on identified objects had been published. It seemed that a Ministry of Culture of Afghanistan had been created that was extremely interested in any activities involving cultural heritage. Furthermore, he indicated that ICOM and UNESCO in co-operation with the Swiss Government, were closely monitoring the changes to the Swiss museum that had intended to house objects resulting from illicit traffic.

Jacques Perot informed members of a meeting with M. Luci, Director of the National Museum of Pristina. This meeting had enabled an update on the situation in Kosovo. An appeal had been published in ICOM News so that publications could be sent to the Museum. The "Patrimoine sans frontières" Organisation would be responsible for ensuring that the publications reached Kosovo.

15. MISCELLANEOUS

15.1. Request to adopt the Resolutions and recommendations of ICTOP

Jacques Perot indicated that ICTOP had asked for the Council's approval on three recommendations.

Resolution n°5: definition of museum professionals. The Executive Council indicated that this question would be addressed within the framework of the overall review of the Code of Professional Ethics that would be carried out between 2001 and 2004.

Resolution n°6: request for closer links between ICTOP and the UNESCO-ICOM Information Centre. The Executive Council approved this request and expressed its wish that the head of the Centre should examine the situation with the appropriate ICTOP personnel.

Resolution n°7: Courses in museology at the Dubrovnik Inter-University Centre in partnership with the Universities of Zagreb (Croatia) and Victoria (United Kingdom). ICTOP was asking the Executive Council to approve these courses. The Executive Council was delighted with this initiative but requested further information with regard to the programmes before taking an official position that would commit the Organisation.

15.2. Honorary Member of ICOM

The Executive Council decided to recognise the outstanding contribution made by Sid Ahmed Baghli (Algeria) and to propose him for honorary membership of ICOM, during the General Assembly in Barcelona in July 2001.

15.3. Request for the adoption of Spanish as the third official language of the Organisation

The Executive Council took due note of the request made to ICOM, presented by Mónica Garrido, a member of the Executive Council - and supported by some Latin-American countries - to introduce Spanish as the third official language of ICOM. The former reminded the meeting that this request dated back to June 2000. She indicated that this subject had been discussed within the Organisation for the past thirteen years. In June 2000, the Executive Council had asked the Reform Task Force to look into the use of languages generally within ICOM.

Bernice Murphy indicated that this matter had been tackled during meetings. The Task Force had no particular recommendation on the subject. The problem of the use of languages - given the diversity of nationalities within ICOM - was a crucial question. The Reform Task Force had indicated that it was necessary for ICOM to encourage the National Committees and regional Organisations to use their own language when working within ICOM. As Mónica Garrido's request was directed to the Council, Bernice Murphy indicated that it was not up to the Reform Task Force to approve or reject this proposal. The Executive Council was the only body competent to decide on it.

Alissandra Cummins rounded off Bernice Murphy's address by indicating that the subject had been included for a study in the Strategic Action Plan because of the implications for ICOM if the decision were to be accepted.

The Executive Council asked the Secretary General to undertake a study into the financial and human implications if Spanish were to be adopted as the third official language of ICOM. It also asked for a more general study into language use at the various meetings of ICOM. The President of ICOM asked the members of the Council to give their opinion on the subject. Yani Herreman asked for suggestions on how she could actively participate in implementing this proposal.

16. Date and venue for the next meeting of the Executive Council.

Jacques Perot informed the members of the Executive Council that an extraordinary meeting might take place in April 2001. This would be decided later. The President announced his wish to convene the first meeting of the new 2001-2004 Executive Council on July 6 2001, in Barcelona, before the meeting of the Advisory Committee. This would enable a certain number of work groups to be set up. Bernice Murphy would later indicate to the Secretariat whether it would be appropriate to proceed with the Reform Task Force meeting, scheduled in the General Conference programme. The Executive Council would meet on Saturday June 30 2001, Friday July 6 2001 at the Conference Centre in Barcelona. Jacques Perot closed the meeting, thanking the members of the Executive Council, the Secretariat, and the interpreters.

 


created: 11 January 2001
back to ICOM Home Page